Tuesday, June 03, 2008

I Saw Red

Oh Weezer, you make my heart sing. Your last three albums have, for me, been a bit lackluster. When I first heard you were coming out with another new album, and going to name it another color, after such high expectations for Green, I was a bit disappointed. Hearing the first single Pork and Beans and seeing the noting the lyrical similarities between it and Beverly Hills made me worry even more, so much in fact that I didn't even bother to really seek out any info or samples. But you've had your grip on me for as long as I can remember, and you knew I'd buy Red the day it was released. And I am so glad that I did. So glad.


Troublemaker
My Name is Jonas and Tired of Sex were perfect album openers for Blue and Pinkerton, they started off quick and deadly hitting home with the first notes and starting each album journey off right. You nailed it here, if this were a movie this is the opening scene where you're introduced to the characters without any dialogue, just some good establishing montages.

The Greatest Man That Ever Lived
How about The Greatest Living Study of Modern Music this decade?! Take a simple tune such as Shaker Hymn, and then performing in almost every modern style; hip hop, thrash metal, crooning, marching chorus, 80s hair ballads, modern alternative, pop country, Pinkerton style, spoken word, baroque chamber music, and finally finishing with Blue style, brilliant!

You don't like it, you love it.

Pork and Beans
Yes, you're the single, I've heard you about 200 times the last two weeks. You know what though, your crunchy chords still make me happy. Your music video makes me ever happier.

Heart Songs
In the Garage part II: Now With More Emo!. Reminds me a bit of when I first listened to the NOFX 13 Stiches where they rattle off all the bands that influenced them. Although I doubt I'll go and grab some Gordon Lightfoot like I did with Descendents. Points for the Fresh Prince of Bel Air reference too.

Everybody Get Dangerous
Probably my least favourite track on the album, and I could possibly see it becoming almost a club song.... Still better than anything off of Make Believe.

Dreamin'
Freaking-fan-tas-tic. Has a nice Blue quality to it, and I just when I thought it would totally ramp up and bust into even more hard crunch chords.... chirping birds? Huh? Then it gets kicked up a notch into full duet territory and then switches back into Blue, and back again, and again. This type of progressive mixing of styles is one of the main reasons why I'm Weezer fan.

Thought I Knew
Talk about switching gears, this isn't ever Rivers on vocals. Wait a minute, did they accidentally mix in some generic pop singer? Nah, it's Brian Bell, and he's done good, damn good. Not one of my favourites, but like noted before, the creativity shown on this album more than makes up for it. Sort of reminds me of something I'd heard in a mid to late nineties teen movie.

Cold Dark World
Nice collaboration with Rivers and the new guy bassits Scott. Sort of sounds a bit like Lincoln Park with some of the spoken word lyrics but it's a nice little tune.

Automatic
I can't listen to this song enough, and it doesn't even sound remotely like Weezer. Pat Wilson takes control and truly shines on the album. My brother and I were trying to figure out what group it sounds like, but we just couldn't put our fingers on it. We even thought maybe early Silverchair almost. That alone is a good sign since it sounds so familiar yet so new. The drums and chords are almost so simple it's surprising to listen carefully and hear the full spectrum of what's going on.

The Angel and the One
And we come full circle. Only in Dreams and Butterfly were perfect endings for Blue and Pinkerton and this is no exception. Like the song at the end of a really good movie this song just flows over you and lets you reflect on what you just experienced. You just don't want it to end.

Overall this album is a major shift in Weezer's style since they came back with Green 2001. I'm not going to compare it overall to Blue or Pinkerton, since all three can stand alone on their own. After losing faith in Rivers and thinking that Alone would be the last chance of hearing any of the magic Weezer first captured me with in my teens, I am mollified. I can't wait to hear some of the bonus tracks and see what they have planned in the future. This album is easily one of the best of the decade.